1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

#103 - Frank Alexander, DE/OLB, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Apr 28, 2012.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

Here's a late round DE that had an unusual scare before the combine:

Rob Rang - CBSSports.com DE Alexander finally able to work out at Oklahoma Pro Day
    A few weeks ago, football was the last thing on Frank Alexander's mind as doctors found a previously undiagnosed heart condition that kept the defensive end from working out at the Combine. But after further tests, those reports have been proven to be false and he was able to participate in Oklahoma's Pro Day on Wednesday. He performed well in every drill, including the 40-yard dash (4.76), vertical jump (34.5"), broad jump (9'9"), 20-yard short shuttle (4.57), 3-cone drill (7.55) and bench press (24). Alexander also measured well with 35 ¼" arm length and a 83 ½" wingspan.

2. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

3. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

2010-2011

Quinton Coples - 30.5 TFL, 17.5 sacks
    Frank Alexander - 32 TFL, 15.5 sacks

Quinton Coples Combine - 4.71 40, 25 BP, 4.79 20s, 31.5" VJ, 7.61 3cone
    Frank Alexander Pro Day - 4.76 40, 24 BP, 4.59 20s, 34.5" VJ, 7.48 3cone

Quinton Coples - 6-5 3/4, 284, 10 1/4" hands, 33 1/4" arms, 80 1/8" wingspan
    Frank Alexander - 6-3 3/4, 270, 9 3/4" hands, 35" arms, 83 1/8" wingspan

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

wingspan FTW :REDanceBanana001:

5. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

i think we got better, a good bit so far. fuck what hurney gave up. and they obviously like hogan and edwards.
    this dude can get in the backfield. he will take a lot of pressure off cj.

6. King o' Farts

King o' Farts Full Access Member

I think we were taking Alexander. This trade got us Adams too.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I wouldn't have done it. I thought we were lucky enough to get away without giving up future picks. Price doesn't seem that unreasonable for giving away future picks. But it wasn't wise.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I wouldn't say undrafted, at all. I think this was an appropriate place to take him.

9. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Production 2
    "2007: Oklahoma redshirted Alexander. 2008: (9/5) -- 26-5-3.5 2009: (13/4) -- 24-7-1.5 2010: (13/9) -- 39-13-7 2011: (13/13) -- 54-19-8.5 Career: 6FF-4FR-14PBU "

Height-Weight-Speed 2 "Possesses adequate height along with above-average bulk. Did not run at the Combine due to a medical reason (See Durability) but clocked in at 4.76 40-yard dash at his pro day, which is slightly above average. "

Durability 4 Medical exclusion at combine (right hip) and was falsely diagnosed with a hole in his heart that was later overruled. Has been slowed by shoulder (2011) and ankle (2010) injuries but appeared in 39 games over the last three seasons.

Intangibles 3 Stabbed in the right arm outside a Norman night club following the 2008 season opener. Reports indicate that he was an innocent bystander when a brawl broke out. Made an effort to be more of a vocal leader in 2011. *Wore No. 12 in the 2011 Florida State game.
    1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
    DEFENSIVE END SPECIFIC TRAITS

Pass Rush Skills 3 First-step quickness is above average but bend and closing speed are just average. Active and violent hands but needs polish in terms of setting up offensive tackles. Flashes effective club-to-rip in addition to slap-to-swim moves. Average overall power but flashes the ability to get under offensive tackles and drive them back. Flashes the ability to deliver big blindside hit but quarterbacks have some success shaking him when they see him coming. Doesn't show great body control in space and can whiff.

Versus the run 3 "Upper-body strength appears above average on film and can set the edge working against tight ends. Flashes the ability to anchor against offensive tackle when keeps pads down. However, plays with a narrow base and gets collapsed inside by angle blocks. Leans and loses balance a little too much. Average range and makes plays with effort but doesn't always take sound pursuit angles. Effective wrap-up tackler in phone booth. "

Versatility 2 Moved around and played a number of roles at Oklahoma. Experience at defensive tackle in four-man front. Quickness gives interior offensive linemen problems on passing downs. Experience lining up at defensive end in four-man and three-man fronts. Experience dropping into coverage. Not a quick twitch athlete with the potential to develop quality man-to-man cover skills but gets adequate depth in drops. Capable of holding up in underneath zone on occasion. Experience rushing the passer out of 2-point stance.

Instincts/Motor 3 "Sniffs out screens but instincts are just average and late locating the ball at times. On the other hand, discipline is above average. Stays home and takes away cutback lanes. Keeps head up and tracks quarterback when rushing the passer. Times jumps well and does an above average job of getting hands up in passing windows. Relentless would be an overstatement but effort is above average and plays to the whistle more times than not. "

10. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Nice comparison but I think everyone would prefer Couples to Alexander. Couples brings more versatility and is stouter vs the run. He's simply the better player but I get where you are going with it.