1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2013 Panthers draft thread..

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

5 weeks out, I think the Panthers have shot their load in Free Agency...

what say yee about the draft?

2. BWI-Panther

BWI-Panther Full Access Member

Feel a lot better about the draft now that Hurney is gone.

Will we cling to trying to be a competitior and reach for positions of need... or will we draft BPA and bolster the talent on the roster?

Should be fun to watch.

3. Toll Booth Willie

Toll Booth Willie Welcome to Wusta!

The BPA approach should dovetail well with this teams needs. Especially since that player will almost certainly be a DL or OL. Pretty much anything except QB or RB could be used here.

4. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

All women are lying whores, and while I'm usually a BPA guy, I think our current situation calls for a more need-based approach. We have more needs than a selfish woman.

5. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

Assuming those top 3 OT are gone and Star is there that will be tough to pass up. Or someone that rushes the passer. We probably need a OT and G at some point.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

So many needs, it's almost guaranteed that the BPA will address one.

7. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

I cant believe were sitting here thinking Star might actually fall to us.

It actually has a slim (very slim) chance of happening now and with Dwan resigned it would be awesome.

Shame we dont have a 3rd to try and trade up.

8. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

The only problem with having Star and Dwan is one of them has to play nose tackle, which I guess is not the shittiest problem to have. I'm sure they could scheme sumthin up.

9. finleye

finleye como say what?

pass rushers and TD makers

ETA: circus elephants

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Yup, although as much as I love Star I would have a hard time doing that simply because of how much help the roster needs.

#1 Scenario -
    Somehow Star Lotulelei drops to #14 (CBS currently lists him at 16), which gives the team a long-term Pro Bowl level talent on the inside. It's weird to me that the buzz seems to be nit-picking Lotulelei about not making a consistent impact when Floyd didn't either. Hell, it's hard for DTs to do that. There aren't any plug-and-play OTs in the second round but you could look to Kyle Long, Dallas Thomas, or Terron Armstead (I prefer Long). Or you could go with a cornerback like Jamar Taylor. An even more interesting idea would be taking David Amerson and immediately converting him to safety, which he actually played in high school. He probably needs a Tampa-2 to play corner in the NFL, but a gambling ball-hawk can work at safety.

#2 Scenario -
    Even though the Panthers signed Munnerlyn and Moore, they still have don't have any size at corner which is where Xavier Rhodes could come in. He's 6'2", 210 and plays like it. I love that he's not a gambling corner and will stay with his assignment. I also love that he has so much starting experience under his belt, as that would allow him to come in and take Gamble's spot immediately. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there would be a DT to take at #44 unless Sylvester Williams dropped or they want a pure nose like Johnathan Jenkins.

#3 Scenario -
    Trade down ~5 spots and take D.J. Fluker. That makes me a little nervous because I'm not completely sold on Fluker and I think he's a first round pick mostly because there are so few ready OTs for all the OT-needy teams. Still, Byron Bell is atrocious and getting a solid RT would help the offense. Unlike Long, there isn't the potential to eventual replace Gross at LT, so this plan is more likely if Gettleman envisions extending Gross and keeping him around for a while. The extra pick could then allow the team to move up in the second and take Kawann Short or Sylvester Williams should they be available. Not a fan of Jesse Williams, for the record.

#4 Scenario -
    Take Cordarrelle Patterson if he falls to #14 and satisfy all you knuckleheads who want a WR. That would presumably spell the end for LaFell after this season, but it would add some athleticism and explosiveness to the receiving corps. Patterson is still really raw as a wideout and therefore a pretty significant risk, but I recently read that he dropped only 4.2% of his targets at Tennessee (Keenan Allen - 4.7%, Terrance Williams - 5.8%, Justin Hunter - 12.1%). If you're going all-in with offense like this then I would definitely take Kyle Long at #44 to upgrade the pass protection.

#5 Scenario -
    Kenny Vaccaro isn't a great safety, but he is a solid all-around talent who doesn't take a lot of risks and usually puts himself in the right position. We've seen what poor safety play can do, so putting him in the lineup ahead of Nakamura would help the defense.

#6 Scenario -
    Take whoever you like most out of Sheldon Richardson, one of the guards, Jarvis Jones, or Trufant.