1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Clock/Timeout Question

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by lj4three, Jan 2, 2005.

1. lj4three

lj4three Resident Non-A-Rab

Okay- with about 2 and a half minutes to go in the 4th- the saints got a first down and we had 1 timeout and the two minute warning left. We elected to let 30 seconds tick off the clock, thus leaving the saints with a first and 10 with 2:00 to go. We then used the timeout at 1:50 and the saints ran the clock down until 1:04 or so when they stepped out of bounds idioticly. anyway, my question is this:

we call the timeout with 2:30 to go- the saints then have 2nd and change with 2:00 to go. i know we got lucky with the stepping out of bounds, but would it have made a difference if we had called the TO before the 2 min warning? :thinking:

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

sorry lj4three.........I'M FULLLLLL

seriously though, we were lucky to even have the ball back

3. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

yes and I was pissed. We cost ourselves 5 seconds right there. It was 1:55 after the play when they called the TO. callit before the 2MW and we would have had time for 1 more play to get 10 yards to make it easier on Kasay.

Also if Gamble would have made a fair catch it would have saved 7 seconds....That was huge. It was 57 when the ball hit the ground and 50 when it was whistled dead...

13 seconds and we would have got into a better position for that fg....

oh well.

4. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

i wonder if this question was asked in Coach Fox's post game press conference. i thought a timeout before the 2 minute warning was the right call, but i have seen coaches wait until afterwards lots of times. must be a reason for it...i just can't, for the life of me, figure it out.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Could've made the 2:30 play into two :15 spans (theoretically - stoppage at 2:25 and then running the clock out to 2:00), which would've helped. Unless we burned two timeouts pre-2:00, which would've helped more.

Assuming the same outcome, that gives us Ernie Conwell stupidly stepping out of bounds at 1:55 or so.

Also, Gamble fair catches that ball at the ten, and we're in better shape. We went 40 yards in :30, which would've put us at the New Orleans 48 with 1:25.
    Even just the one timeout before 2:00 puts us at 1:05 or so, with the ball in their territory.

6. lj4three

lj4three Resident Non-A-Rab

you have 60+ people on the sideline and no one can do math.

7. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

wonderlic is real, my child

8. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

you could tell that Gamble knew he made a mistake by not making the FC. 7 seconds and 8 yards...much bigger numbers in hind-sight.

the end of the season sucks.

9. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

I hope his thinking was the ball would go into the endzone and we get it at the 20.....

Berger did a great job punting today.

10. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

i don't want to say anything nice about gamble right now, but he did a decent job returning punts today - except for that. and oh yeah, nice hands colbert.