1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Gettleman's view of a roster

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PaulPaladin, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

Most of the players responsible for 12-4, he inherited. I'll stop short of giving credit to Hurney but I won't give it to Fat Bastard either.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

12-4 was a complete fluke and we all know it.

3. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

It was what it was.

It's not a team I would have particularly cared to face.

4. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

12-5

5. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

6. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

The front seven is remarkable. That can change with injuries, quickly. But if you keep that group healthy, they'll give you a chance to win a wide variety of games (cuckings, flukes, etc).

McDermott is very good at what he's doing. I don't really know, or give a shit, how much of a stamp Ron put on this. I've been told by those close enough to the staff that when Riverboat stepped off McDermott's dick, mid-2012, the defense got better, as did clock management, game management, etc. Could be a hunk of speculative shit, but I don't think it's off base.

Eric Washington needs a fucking lifetime contract, while we're on this topic. That ************ has always pulled the most out of the least, and now that he has a carousel of wife-fuckers on that line, he can do more.

This team's defense does most things extremely well. Tackling? Never saw a John Fox team tackle this well. We have talented defenders, but a tackling (CONSISTENT tackling) rarely occurs with sub-standard teachers. Jack Del Rio is an example of this.

Gettleman hasn't fucked this up yet. It sucks that he opened his mouth at the combine. If that's how he felt about Smith, he has that right. Feeding the leaches (Gantt and his fucking cuckold friends) serves no positive purpose. It sounds like we believe he has the ability/desire to fuck it all up, in the end, but for at least another year, I'm going to fucking enjoy watching the pass rush.

Oh, and, the offense? Well, we're fucked in the ass with dead money. We should be focused on building an offensive line that can make the trio of very good backs we have even better, but that'll have to wait, I guess. Shula won't be a positive influence, ever, in the passing game. So, as long as we're stuck with him, run the fucking ball and run it well. And run it a fucking lot. He's completely incompetent, all the more reason to limit his portfolio.

12-4, with absolutely no big-play ability through the air, says to me that all the wins (8 convincing, 4 fortuitous) had more to do with what we still have on deck vs. what we've lost that, perhaps....just, perhaps, will be replenished to a satisfactory level within the next 130 days.

Fuck Mike Smith

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bolt Up

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bolt Up

[​IMG]

9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bolt Up

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by "remarkable." They are very good, but hardly historic. Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy are both above average defensive ends but hardly dominant, while the defensive tackles are disruptive but also not dominant. Kuechly has been praised to high heaven and yet we've dissected how bad he is coverage. Thomas Davis is one of the best linebackers in the league. Chase Blackburn is solid but so forgettable that it took me a while to remember who the third linebacker was. Although you can certainly make the argument that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, would you stake your life on that group being one of the league's best again next season?

That's interesting info, thanks. Unfortunately if the team has another strong defensive showing then McDermott will be gone again. That's the problem with a team whose strength comes from its coordinators; you don't keep them. Chudzinski made the offense look better than it was, and it came crashing down to earth when he left. Will the defense do the same?

12-4 was accomplished with some great defensive play that can't be sustained at that level and an awful offense that should get worse and potentially reach Clausian levels in 2014. A lot went right to get those twelve wins. Tampa Bay imploded and Atlanta fell apart after their injuries. Then the one point win against San Francisco. Then the controversial win against New England. Then pulling a rabbit out of their ass in Miami.

If Gettleman had kept the same roster together for 2014 and they had played just as well, I was still expecting a record around .500 because the hardest thing to do in the NFL is keep winning. It took New Orleans 22 years to have back to back winning seasons. It took Tampa Bay 25 years to have back to back winning seasons. It took 44 years for Atlanta to have back to back winning seasons. Through 19 seasons, Carolina has never done it.