1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WR's

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PaulPaladin, Apr 18, 2014.

1. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Watched a lot of highlight video on the WR class this week. Was at the beach and the weather sucked....anyway, some thoughts.

Paul Richardson, Colorado - reminds me of DeSean Jackson without the gang ties. Good hands catcher, very impressive quickness and wiggle after the catch. Would fit in the Ginn role here and drop fewer deep balls. I'd be happy w him in rnd 3.

Brandin Cooks, Ore St - not blown away. Sure he's fast but doesn't have the lower body strength that Smitty has and isn't a hands catcher. He's a nice player, but I think he's overhyped right now. Not sure he's worth a 1st especially when guys like Herron and Ellington will be there later.

Robert Herron, Wyo. - much more of a Smitty clone than Cooks. A good hands catcher, strength in the lower body to break at tackles after the catch and instinctively makes that shake n bake move after the catch. Not as fast as Cooks, but can plant and go. Love to see him in round 3. Like him as much or more than Ellington, whom I really like.

Davante Adams, Fresno - best hands catcher in the class. Aways is catching the ball away from his body with his big strong hands, reminds me of Anquan Boldin. I'd be happy with him in round 2 if he lasts.

Kelvin Benjamin, FSU - a hard player to judge. First of all, lets the ball get into his body way too much, can catch with his hands but only if the ball is at the edge of his catch radius. Is he a TE or a WR? A matchup nightmare from a size and strength perspective but is slow, almost plodding when running routes or after the catch. I wouldn't take him in round 1. If he used his physical tools as well as Matthews and had better hands he'd be worth it, but in round 1 you don't take a project.

Allen Robinson, Penn st - a Brandon LaFell clone. Big, strong, not fast but good instincts after the catch. Hands are mediocre but can come up with a circus catch. Never will be more than a LaFell type. Wouldn't take in round 2. Wouldn't take in round 3 either....

Jordan Matthews, Vandy - like Adams is a big strong guy with very good hands. Consistently snatches the ball out of the air, but has an extra gear that Adams doesn't have. Very effectively uses his size and strength to gain leverage on CBs and position himself to make the catch. I'd take him over Adams. Maybe it's the fact he wears #87 but damn if he doesn't remind me of Moose. If he was our first round pick I wouldn't shit. He may never be a dynamic #1 WR but I trust what he's accomplished vs SEC competition.

Cody Latimer, Ind - rangy, lanky kid with good quickness for his size. Appears to be a hands catcher doesn't let ball get into his body. Not sure he's as good as the hype but I'd be happy w him in round 3. If we take him in 2 that's probably ok too but he just looks to me like he's not as ready as Matthews. But very limited footage.

Bruce Ellington, SC - built like Cooks and Herron but I think maybe Herron a little stronger in his lower body. Great acceleration, but lets the ball get into his body too much. Makes plays. Personally I think he, Cooks and Herron are three peas in a pod. Cooks the fastest. Herron the strongest. And Ellington in the middle. Stronger than Cooks, quicker than Herron. Again, a good pick if he's there in 3.

Here's how I'd rank just these guys

1. Jordan Matthews
    2. Devante Adams
    3. Brandin Cooks
    4. Robert Herron
    5. Bruce Ellington
    6. Paul Richardsom
    7. Cody Latimer
    8. Kelvin Bemjamin
    9. Allen Robinson

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

TQ Underwood is fast.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Really good stuff, thanks.

4. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Forgot about Donte Moncrief. He's fast but not quick, to the point where he looks almost awkward at times after the catch, like his feet can't keep up with the rest of his body. Needs more than a few steps to get to full speed, unlike Ellington who seems to hit full speed almost instantly. Average hands. Looked good getting off the press vs LSU. I'd slot him between Latimer and Benjamin in the rankings above. I had been looking at him as a possible 2nd round pick but not anymore.

5. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Kiper took Bruce Ellington at #26 in the Espn mock with McShay.

6. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

I couldn't imagine him going that high.

I feel like there's a good chance we'll take Cooks at 28.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

If he's there, which he won't be. And yeah, no way Ellington goes anywhere near that high. I'd be pretty surprised if he went in the second round. As much as I like him, he body-catches a lot.

8. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

I must say I pretty much agree with all of this.

9. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

I watched that as well. If the draft falls that way and Cleveland takes Adams and not Ellington we would probably look at another position. Well, in less they like Benjiman but I doubt it.

8 WRs go before us? That would suck.

Also Jordan Matthews went mid-first and Polian said "He the best WR in the draft". I agree.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  10. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product