This Board Rocks

Go Back   This Board Rocks > Daily Hits > Rant & Rave

Rant & Rave

Crossroads Mall at CAROWINDS BLVD. to become Mexican Theme Mega Mall

This is a discussion on Crossroads Mall at CAROWINDS BLVD. to become Mexican Theme Mega Mall within the Rant & Rave forums, part of the Daily Hits category!
Viva La Raza !!!!!!!!! Crossroads Mall near Carowinds is about to undergo some major changes. Hmmmm, wouldn't Eastland Mall have ...

Sponsored Ads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-07, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
You Can't Touch Me!!!

Crossroads Mall at CAROWINDS BLVD. to become Mexican Theme Mega Mall

Viva La Raza !!!!!!!!! Crossroads Mall near Carowinds is about to undergo some major changes. Hmmmm, wouldn't Eastland Mall have been a better site to revamp vs. all the way down at the NC/SC state line :D :D ? ? ?

===========

Mall vendors at a crossroads

NICHOLE MONROE BELL
nbell@charlotteobserver.com

FORT MILL, S.C. --Aldo Sevillano was just about to give up on Crossroads Mall.

The owner of two restaurants in the mall near Carowinds theme park, Sevillano had watched with dismay for nearly two decades as store after store shut down. Some left to pursue bigger crowds in Charlotte malls. Others were unhappy with management. And the shoppers followed.

Sevillano, a Charlotte resident who runs Roasting Oven & Grill and Grill 2000, was forced to reduce his staff from 16 to four during his 18 years there. The 21-year-old mall, which once had more than 40 stores, has dwindled to about a dozen -- mostly mom and pops. Just four chains remain -- Bass and Van Heusen outlets, Subway and Hamrick's

And when one of the mall's largest stores, Carolina Pottery, closed in January, he worried even more about the future.

Then he got word this week that the mall had been sold. Representatives for the new owner, Atlanta-based Capital City Development, showed Sevillano their $12 million vision, which included changing the name to "Plaza Fiesta Carolinas" and transforming the mall into a Latino-themed shopping center with a bandstand, soccer fields and restaurants.

The mall's grey, deserted hallways, they said, would be filled with bright colors and fountains and be teeming with shoppers by September.

"It was like a miracle for me," Sevillano said Friday. "I think this will be a wonderful place."

But several business owners worried whether their stores could survive the transformation -- either from disruptions caused by renovations or the predominantly Latino crowd uninterested in their merchandise.

At the Antiques Mall, home to more than 20 vendors, business owners shook their heads and became choked up Friday as they contemplated their fate. The extensive renovations slated inside Crossroads means vendors will have to close by June 30, Antiques Mall owner Jenny Hogan said.

Hogan said she's unsure whether the Antiques Mall, located inside Crossroads for 18 years, will reopen. Hogan does not know if she can afford increased rents the new owners might charge. "It's very upsetting," Hogan said. "I've spent quite a lot of money in here."

Representatives for Hamrick's, the mall's largest remaining tenant, said it will stay.

Trading Collectibles, a sports memorabilia shop, will have to close or move elsewhere in the mall during July and August, owner Bradley Mechum said. He said that'll hurt because the summer is his busiest time of year.

Mechum also wondered whether his merchandise -- mostly baseball, football and basketball memorabilia -- will appeal to Latino customers.

"More traffic is a positive, but is it the right traffic for me?" he said. "That's the big question."

Old 03-24-07, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sensitive One

and transforming the mall into a Latino-themed shopping center with a bandstand, soccer fields and restaurants.

I heard about this ! Looking forward to the soccer fields.
Puttingood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fuck you guys.

Hope they hire a TON of security...

Last edited by Freakshow; 03-24-07 at 10:01 AM.
Freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
membered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
cabron.
Old 03-24-07, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
SUPERMOD

i have driven past there hundreds of times and not once have i ever thought, maybe i ought to go shop there.

Ronald Reagan ~ "The ten most dangerous words in the English language are, 'I'm from the federal government, and I'm here to help.' "

What's a Kenny Chesney? Is it like a dirty sanchez?
WilliamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
★☆☆☆

Hexxagon Champion!
the christian magic shop probably wasnt a good idea...
Old 03-24-07, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
stereotyping there are we?

--Milton Friedman,
American economist and Nobel Prize recipient
VA49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full of Shit and Proud

Zoo Keeper Champion! Candy Tetris Champion! Mumu Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds70 View Post
Trading Collectibles, a sports memorabilia shop, will have to close or move elsewhere in the mall during July and August, owner Bradley Mechum said. He said that'll hurt because the summer is his busiest time of year.

Mechum also wondered whether his merchandise -- mostly baseball, football and basketball memorabilia -- will appeal to Latino customers.

"More traffic is a positive, but is it the right traffic for me?" he said. "That's the big question."
Time to find Julio Cesar Chavez shit to sell!
Old 03-24-07, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

They should make the entrance a 15 foot wall.

Beaners.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
membered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
They should make the entrance a 15 foot wall.