1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

sterling

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Superfluous_Nut, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

man, the dude really stepped in it. but i don't quite get the reaction. i think everybody knew he was an asshole. so it turns out he's a got some fucked up views of minorities. is that really something the nba can come down on him for? it's not like he went out to make his private thoughts known to the public.

cuban is the only guy who's trying to pump the brakes a little bit. he's denounced what sterling has said, but doesn't think being a racist is something that should make you lose your franchise.

2. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Bomani Jones wrote a nice article about him at ESPN take 2 or Washington Post. Basically pointing out how this is nothing new. He has had federal cases against him for being a racist back in 2006 and 2003 and it doesn't cause a blip on the media radar. Sponsers, other teams, the NBA office and the media didn't show any outrage until some ugly ass cock cushion sells some audio tape to TMZ.
    What he said was fucked up but when did being a bigoted fuck become illegal? Freedom of speech is only free when you don't offend anyone. Don't like him, don't support him with sponserships or going to games/buying Clipper gear.

3. Superfluous_Nut

yeah, he's been sued in the past over renting issues. but those also related to people with children. i don't think he's especially racist, actually. i think he's just a dick who puts profit first. it would be hard to argue that the clippers organization has reflected any racist views on his part. elgin baylor kept his job for 22 years as vice president of basketball operations. the dude fired didn't rehire his most successful coach (a white guy) and instead went for doc rivers at the added expense of future picks to boston.

4. PantherPaul

Yeah the same GM that he was paying 250k a year to while every other GM made 1 mil +. Sterlings fault? No Baylor just accepting it.
    My guess is a year suspension like Marge Schott got in MLB and a fine around 500k.
    Be interesting what players do after their season. Demand a trade?

5. PantherPaul

WOW. Nice big set of nuts Commish Silver. L:ife time ban and 2.5 million dollar fine. They can fight over it until he dies

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

I think the NBA just saw this as an opportunity to marginalize an owner they already hated.

7. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

ESPN has been covering this like it's 9/11.

I wasn't offended by what he said, but then again, I'm white.

8. Superfluous_Nut

serious over-reaction. feels a lot like manufactured outrage -- like people are trying their hardest to act upset lest they be accused of not acting upset enough.

and really, do we need a live twitter feed of player/celebrity reactions to the commissioner's press conference? good lord.

9. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

Local sports radio eating it up like its candy.
    Gives some the voice to spout how righteous they are.
    The liberal side of some people just gets me angry sometimes. :crybaby:

10. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

All of this over a fucking piece of ass.