1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

South Caldwell High School Football

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by DownSouth, Oct 1, 2005.

1. DownSouth

DownSouth Full Access Member

I know these guys are my friends and I will most likely be put in the homer Hall of Fame for this thread, but let me tell you about the South Caldwell Spartans Football Program:

Before this year, never in the 28 year history of the school has football team started 3-0. In the programs history, there were 5 times they won the so-called County championship over Hibriten and West Caldwell. Remember there have been several D-1 football players to come out of West and Hibriten. There was a time that the weight room at South was used more for off season baseball workouts than for football. South Caldwell was the doormat of football in Western North Carolina for decades. It used to be comical how many schools scheduled South for their homecoming year in and year out.

Welcome to today. With the 21-20 victory at East Burke, South Caldwell is 7-0 and 2-0 in conference play. They are 4-0 against the county the last 2 years. People in the community are comming out in numbers to watch these guys compete. More kids are playing football at South that were only one sport athletes in years past and they are making a huge impact.

You know the best part about it is, they are doing it right. The team is close. The coaches are together more with eachother than their wives and children it seems and are always looking and ploting to pull out that certain play to give their players a chance to win. And even better, they are all good people. They pray for eachother and help eachother. Its what is lacking in the world today. They aren't perfect, but they are really good people.

How long will this undefeated ride last? Who knows. Will they advance farther this year in the playoffs than last? Its hard to say. But for right now, this has been an amazing time for this school and this program and I think someone should give them the pat on the back they deserve.

2. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

How big is South Caldwell? Will they be 4A or 4AA? Congrats on a great season thus far.

3. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

SC is a small 4A school.

4. acbaseball06

acbaseball06 Junior Member

who all has south caldwell played?

5. pioneerpride01

pioneerpride01 Member

Here is the Spartan schedule to date:

Aug. 19, 2005 FOARD, FRED T W 31-12
    Aug. 26, 2005 WEST CALDWELL W 27-14
    Sep. 2, 2005 AT HIBRITEN W 28-7
    Sep. 9, 2005 AT AVERY COUNTY W 52-34
    Sep. 16, 2005 AT WEST LINCOLN W 38-0
    Sep. 23, 2005 WATAUGA W 22-0
    Sep. 30, 2005 AT EAST BURKE W 21-20
    Oct. 14, 2005 AT FREEDOM 7:30 PM
    Oct. 21, 2005 MCDOWELL COUNTY 7:30 PM
    Oct. 28, 2005 REYNOLDS, AC 7:30 PM
    Nov. 4, 2005 AT ALEXANDER CENTRAL 7:30 PM

They have played a pretty good schedule. Hibriten and West Caldwell are of course county rivals for them. The Avery game should have taught them how to defend the pass.

6. acbaseball06

acbaseball06 Junior Member

i give south credit but they have only played 2 teams with a winning record so far next week vs. feedom is gonna tell what kind of team they have.

7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

I did a little homework over at massey ratings, here is what I've found...
    FT Foard, 3A, 1-5
    W. Caldwell, 2A, 3-3
    Hibriten, 2A, 4-3
    Avery Co., 1A, 4-2
    W. Lincoln, 2A, 2-5
    Watauga, 4A, 3-4
    E. Burke, 4A, 2-4

I agree that Freedom will be the first real test for this Spartan team....and I dont see a cupcake on their schedule from here on out. But I'll show them some love for a 7-0 record, I too remember how bad S. Caldwell football used to be. This is quite a turn around and I'll be sure to follow their progress. Good luck!

8. mountainball

mountainball Full Access Member

South has a classy coach, classy players... thus a classy program.

Good luck the rest of the year.

9. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

Last week everyone was saying East Burke would be SC's first real test. Before that it was Avery who was going to expose their secondary and beat them. And before that everyone said Hibriten would have too much speed for SC. Well with all that said South is 7-0. Are they the best team in the state? NO! Are they a pretty good team this year? YES! They have a shot at a conference title this year but still have to play the two top teams in the conference in Freedom and Reynolds. They beat Reynolds last year so they know now it is possible and by all rights should have beat Freedom. I know it is hard to believe but SC is pretty good but won't get the credit they deserve unless they go undefeated and win the state championship which is doubtful.

10. wildcatpop01

wildcatpop01 Member

AC should not even begin to talk about the schedule another team has played.

AC has played

North Iredell 3A 6-1, 1-1 L
    St. Stephens 3A 0-7, 0-4 W Did not win a game last year
    Moorseville 3A 3-4, 2-0 W
    North Wilkes 2A 1-6, 0-2 W Did not win a game last year
    McDowell 4A 2-4, 0-1 W Won only once last season
    AC Reynolds 4A 5-2, 2-0 L
    East Burke 4A 2-4, 0-2 ???
    The Cougars have by all accounts played A POOR non-conference schedule. One can simply see that the Cougars cannot beat a team with a winning record.