1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

South Caldwell High School Football

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by DownSouth, Oct 1, 2005.

1. NW4AWATCHER

NW4AWATCHER Full Access Member

SC vs. McDowell

Gardner is good but he also gets to play against everybody's second and third string defenses because several teams have gotten such big leads on McDowell and started subbing like SC did in the third quarter. Also SC came off a tough loss also that they should have won. No whining here. SC moved the ball much better than Freedom. Freedom had 3 big plays. The refs called a run down to Freedom's 10 yard line back saying the runner was out of bounds and everybody that has seen the film says he did not go out of bounds. South also had a TD called back because of holding but again film shows Freedom doing the holding. Terrible officiating. They robbed SC at that game. I believe SC will surprise a lot of people against AC. You can't measure desire and heart.

2. billybobblockhead

billybobblockhead Full Access Member

Never happen unless the youth leagues and junior highs start implementing what the high school runs. Last year when Haynie was hired, the youth leagues were adamant about Haynie getting with them. Well, he spent a lot of time with them at their coaches meeting, and maybe more than one time. I asked several coaches, IN PERSON, if they were going to implement the Single Wing and they ALL, to a person, laughed in my face and said no. Now, I'll be the first to say that offense wasn't the greatest, but after demanding the meeting then blowing him off, well....... Now, I am a big time, hard core McDowell fan, and I want them to win more than anything, but it won't happen until everyone gets rid of the "I'm better than him" attitude and gets behind the single concept. AT THE VERY LEAST, the high school "stuff" should be mandated in the junior high schools. If youth league coaches want a great product, they would do a very scaled down version of their own.

Oh yeah, FWIW, I was most impressed with SC last year. They ran their schemes better than any team in the conference. If Freedom had the coaches that SC has, no one in the conference would be within 3-4 touchdowns of them. Didn't get to the game this year, but I would bet that is the case again this year. Congratulations on your year and the win.

3. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

Blockhead, I along with BigDan assist in the McDowell Youth Football League for the most part, the teams of the league runs similar plays on offense and uses the same formations that McDowell High uses on both sides of the ball. Apparently, Haynie is implementing the system, the coaches went to him to get the plays, or the coaches have seen the games and have diagrammed the plays themselves. The only difference between them and the Titans is that some of the teams actually throw the ball very well (I.E.- PG/North Cove, West Marion, Marion/Eastfield) and have good receivers who are only getting better; While the Titans run the ball all the time and seldom pass.

If you want to see the future (which looks very bright, IMHO) of Titan Football, show up at Titan Stadium at 10 AM this Saturday and watch the final week of the MCYFL (Consolations/Championships). There are some kids that will be really good in 2-3 years once they don the Titan uniform. If you want a schedule of games, let me know and I'll PM them to you.

4. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

Youth leagues DO make a difference, I have to agree. Luckily the Rocket youth leagues have been a success lately with the the little ones (termites) winning their Super Bowl last year and have been undefeated so far this season, 20-0 the past two years. The three little league teams for East Asheville Rockets combined to go 23-1 so far this year and reading this post that was posted on our website it seems to make a difference in the future....Check it out:

"well consider this....these boys are from ages 13 down to 6....combined season this year was 23-1.... i''d say the rockets future is pretty bright...and these boys are being taught the right way to play...all the basics...i only wish they didnt get broke up during middle school..these boys are taught what it means to be friends and respect...all though they do get practiced and yelled at pretty often...they do love all their coaches and they do a great job of teaching these future rockets....in a few years the high school will appreciate them..."----Future Rocket Parent

Judging from that seems our youth leagues are doing their jobs and I think Coach McCurry from ACR has some input into somethings but I don't know how much. He does support their program ALOT and is there on most Saturdays to watch them and show his support.

5. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Don't 100 percent agree...IMHO throwing the football at the little league level is overrated. Probably half of the passes we have seen in little league this year have been short passing plays to a running back. Those passing plays we have seen this year to a receiver was more or less those "go deep and I'll try to throw as far as I can" type of passing plays. Now there's one team in particular this year who actually impliments a tight end into their offense as a passing threat, and both the quarterback and tight end has connected on multiple occasions. But honestly, the general idea of the little kids throwing the ball is overrated. If coaches had enough time in practice to focus working with the QB and working with blocking and receiving schemes then things may be different.

I think the key thing that the little kids need to know are the basic things. Knowing how to wrap up and tackle is one of them. I've seen the little kids here in McDowell County do a better job of tackling than I've seen the Titans do at times. Stuff like that in the little leagues and even in Jr. High should be taught (religiously) so that when its time to play high school football you can work on advanced things without having to waste time constantly going over basic stuff.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  6. titan90

titan90 titan90

I think it will be a while before titan football comes around again. If anyone has seen the 2 middle schools play - you know what i mean. Between the 2 teams they have 1 win and many defeats by large margins. The coaching at the middle schools is terrible in my opinion. I do not know how you can judge talent in a youth league. Now if McDowell County youth teams were playing Burke County teams and holding there own then i may buy into the theory that our county has many talented kids on the rise and titan football will be saved in 6-8 years. I wish they would scale back on the age groups in youth football. Do 5 and 6 year old kids need to be playing football. What do they learn? In this age group you have the coaches calling the penalties which causes major problems.
    East and West play wednesday. I think it is at East, not 100% sure.

7. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

You're right, the game is at East this Wed...4 p.m.

The reason why the kids start at age 5 in our youth league is because they have to start somewhere. Just like in regular school, the kids have to have a starting to point to their eduction--so this is the start of a player's education in football. These kids learn about the fundamentals of the game such as lining up, blocking, tackling, protecting the football, recovering a fumble, learning rules, and penalties. These kids are not learning the Wing-T offense, the 46 Defense, and the flea flicker, instead its the fundamentals. Just like in basketball, T-Ball, soccer, etc... They teach the fundamentals, and from there they learn more. That's the reason why they play it.

Concerning the coaches calling penalties, we dont have people that want to come and call the games. We're so shorthanded that it's had to come to that. Do you want to come and call the games? After all, you're knocking us about something we didnt want to happen in the first place. People dont want to volunteer...So we have to do this ourselves. If you dont want to help our problem, find someone who will and quit yappin your trap about it. Obviously, you're not doing anything to help us.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005