1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Blue Gray Showcase

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NC04DAD, Jul 21, 2003.

1. NC04DAD

NC04DAD Junior Member

Just curious if any of you have had any experience with the showcases. There was a pretty nasty thread on the High School Baseball web site ( I think it was erased) regarding paying people to act as scouts in the stands and such.

Has anyone been to one of the showcases not just the tryouts and what is your feeling about the results from the showcase.

Thanks!!

2. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

This is one of the up and coming Showcases. Coach 44 from our Board is the HC for Team North Carolina. Despite any negative feedback you may have heard..it is a well attended, well talented Showcase that gains in stature each year.

Many of the local kids participating have received scholarships after their involvement. I would definately recommend the Blue/ Gray Classic

I have been disappointed by many of the recent posts on HSbaseballweb...the quality of their message board, although still very good, has been slipping in their quality of posts since the first of the year....it appears as if some of the posters are becoming more (attack) oriented then I can ever remember.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  3. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

My '04 was chosen as a "pre-select" and played on Team Southeast last year and had a very enjoyable experience. He will also play on Team Southeast this year. A "pre-select" means a player is unable to attend one of the various tryouts, but receives recommendations from one or more college scouts. The only drawback is you are not placed on one of the "state teams".

There were 40 or more scouts at Wake Forest last year and I'd expect to see at least that many, and probably more, this year. I thought the showcase was very well run last year or we would not be attending again.

4. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

We were very pleased with Blue-Grey/Wake Forest. One of the things I like about it is its diversity. It seems to attract a wide range of recruiters; so, it's as appropriate a choice for a player considering a level a notch below major DI as well as "blue-chippers."

The dinner the night before is another nice feature. Paid for by the organizer, it features several excellent talks by area college coaches about recruiting.

5. SouthLoop

SouthLoop S.Charlotte BB Researcher

Posted by SabreFan on the Impact thread:

I saw some Charlotte area players listed in the Blue-Grey Classic V National Battle of the States I in St. Petersburg, FL for this coming weekend but I don't know anything about the players from the Team Carolina listed. Below are Charlotte area players playing in St. Petersburg this coming weekend on Team Carolina. Does anyone know where the below players attend high school other than Ryan Pflum?

Ryan Pflum - Weddington High
    Kyle Eudy - Anson County
    Billy Celtruda
    Josh Chaney - Stoneville, NC
    Todd Eberhart
    Jason Webb
    Kris Ty Gwyn
    Matt Amstrong
    Jon Cook - Hilton Head, SC
    Chris Zachodski - Providence
    Will Irwin
    Shane Earnheart - Weddington
    Michael Bowman

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  6. vikes28

vikes28 Hasbeen user

I did attend the blue/grey at Wake last year and there was alot of scouts and they were actually interested in the talent. I did question some of the selections for the local team though. We had 2 players from North Forsyth who tried out and didn't make it (Bryan Bowles, Andrew Larrimore) that both ended up later signing at Western Carolina while a couple of other local players that were in our conference made the squad. Those other players weren't even close to being legion caliber players. Makes me wonder what it takes to get on the teams. Meanwhile, the teams that came down to play seem to be legit as far as their talent.
    Things that make you say uuuuuuummmmmmm?

7. SabreFan

SabreFan Faithful Fan

The Blue-Grey Classics hosted by Pro-Motion Sports USA directed by Gus Bell is emerging as one of the top 3-day recruiting events in the country. They are held in July and August at Wake Forest University, William & Mary, Jacksonville University, Coastal Carolina, and the University of Tennessee. Blue-Grey also holds other recruiting events such as, the Battle of the States held in July at the Devil Rays Spring Training Complex, and the Blue-Grey Showtime at Chain of Lakes the Spring Training Complex for the Clevelalnd Indians. The December Pro-Time is held at Jack Russell Stadium the Spring Training Stadium for the Phillies and the May Pro-Time is held at Florida power Park.

The 2 Blue-Grey Classic events coming to the North and South Carolina areas soon should be a privilege for any area baseball player to participate in. The Blue-Grey Classic I will be held at Wake Forest University on 8/13-15 and the Blue-Grey Classic IV will be held at Coastal Carolina in Myrtle Beach on 8/22-24.

Blue-Grey invitations are based on try-outs and past baseball performances. The Classics have full support of Division I, II and III colleges stretching from the Mid Atlantic to the Southeast and beyond. Major League Baseball has also become an intricate part of the event as nearly all teams are represented. Over 85% of past participants have secured Baseball Scholarship money during their senior year as a direct result of the Blue-Grey Classics events.

The first day, each team has a 4 hour college evaluation on hitting, fielding, pitching, stealing, etc. There are 4 games played by each Tournament Team on the next two days. There is also a player/parent dinner the first night of the event. It is a little pricey but well worth the money spent and your transportation, lodging and meals are extra to be provided by the players.

I have heard of a lot of "success stories" emerging from the Blue-Grey Classics.

8. Spartanfan

Spartanfan Full Access Member

Response to SouthLoop

SouthLoop,

Not sure about the others, but Kyle Eudy will be a senior at Anson County this year, Chris Zachodski will be a junior at Providence Day, and Shane Earnheart, I believe, attends Weddington.

9. SouthLoop

SouthLoop S.Charlotte BB Researcher

Pro-Motion Sports USA is an up and coming college baseball pipeline and has a premier college baseball recruiting website.

The Blue-Grey Classic Baseball Showcases of Pro-Motion Sports USA have become the most widely used baseball recruiting site by colleges across America. Over 500 colleges are now utilizing this site to aid them in their recruiting. There are no codes to enter or subscription charges to colleges, pro scouts or prospects. All of their profiles are open to everyone interested in baseball recruiting. Information number: 508-881-2782.

See http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/promosports/bbpipeline.html

10. NC-dad

NC-dad Full Access Member

Jon Cook is from Hilton Head SC.