1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Cost to light field?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCMtnBBDad, May 8, 2008.

1. NCMtnBBDad

NCMtnBBDad NCMtnBBDad

Does anyone have any estimates on the approximate cost to adequately light a HS baseball field? I think the distances are 315' down the lines, 370 in center if that makes any difference.

2. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

in 96 it was 60k for six poles etc.... i think a18 bulb light on each pole might have been 24!
    ??

3. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Kevin11 from Swain can probably give you current costs. They just lit theirs this past year. Nicely lit too.

4. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

Field Lights

rumor has it that the cost was around $175,000. Baseball and softball fields were both done and I don't know if that cost was inclusive of both or not. I will try and find out.

5. NCMtnBBDad

NCMtnBBDad NCMtnBBDad

I guess we'll continue playing only day games then. Wow!!

6. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Lighting Field

Call Musco lighting at 800/825-6030 or you can go to their website @ www.musco.com. I was involved in adding lights to a ball field several years ago and they were very helpful and we did the entire installation with volunteers, one of which was a licensed electrical contractor (a must) and a crane operator. Good luck.

7. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Grants

We got a grant to replace the lights on our field. When the lights were replaced they went ahead and did the softball field and the track as well. The cost for the baseball lights was 40k and this was done around three years ago. Now we are one of the few schools left with a dual purpose field as they call it. That means our baseball outfield is the football field. So the lights had to be able to properly light a football field as well as a baseball field. Yes I know it stinks.

I would definitely look into having the school system write a grant for funding. That is what we did.

8. jd05

jd05 Full Access Member

Baseball and softball

.. cost 110 k three years ago

9. gkg

gkg Full Access Member

cost will vary

Cost for lighting field will vary on factors

type of poles allowed - obviously wood is cheapest but some school systems will not allow. Do not pay for concrete poles and if done correctly, steel poles embedded in ground (coated from ground below) will be OK

electrical service available - obviously will need 480 power so how close is it and do you have to install a transformer

subsurface conditions - type of soil and groundwater affect pole embedment and cost

Basically, you want 50 footcandles in infield area and 30 in outfield. Get different manufacturers - Musco, GE, Hubbel etc. Some will try to sell you for extra cost to have ballast near ground so it will be easier for future maintenance. However, not familiar with anyone who has to replace / repair ballast. At some point in future will want to have someone clean lens on lights and in future will need to replace bulbs since they dim over time.

Recommend that you get three or four field lighting contractors (representing different lighting manufacturers) to work up a cost which will not cost you any funds.

10. Freedom Sball

Freedom Sball Full Access Member

Micheal Torrence out of Charlotte runs Torrence Sports Lighting I believe. They use GE lights and do an outstanding job. He did my softball field 3 years ago. Musco is great, but he will save you some money. 704-525-8446.. www.tsportslight.com Tell him Coach Fox from Freedom sent you...