1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Middle School Bat Regulations

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by namkrad, Feb 14, 2012.

1. chubbs

chubbs Full Access Member

2. namkrad

namkrad Member

Here's a response from our coach when I emailed him last night and explained that there is no "-5 BBCOR" and asking for clarification as to whether -3 or -5 is the requirement.

"Yes there is lots of confusion on the bats. There is an AD meeting on the 28th. There is talk about this season changing to the BBCOR bats being the only bats allowed. Most likely next year there will be a requirement on BBCOR Bats. As soon as I hear from the AD I will be sure to pass the message on."

So really no answer at all :banghead:

I just want to know if I need to replace my son's 2012 Voodoo -5 or not for the upcoming season!!! :banghead:

3. SouthCharlotteSports

SouthCharlotteSports Full Access Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. SouthCharlotteSports

SouthCharlotteSports Full Access Member

that didnt lay out he way I intended it to, the first # is CMS, 2nd # is MRMS

5. chubbs

chubbs Full Access Member

6. 1down22go

1down22go Full Access Member

Just another confirmation that my move from Meck was the right thing to do. The Administration of CMS is interested in rules, not what is in the best interest of the Student.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. Post15fan

Post15fan Full Access Member

CMS MS coaching stinks

The problem with ms cms sports is that the coaching stinks. My sons MS dominated the three main boys team sports for years. The schools history. They had a disciplined yet sort of a-hole coach and his teams won. He did a few stupid things on and off the field and was removed.

Some teams he ran were replaced with disciplined knowledgeable coaches, some with guidance counselors. The guidance counselor's team lost more games in one season (12) than in the HISTORY of the school. At mid-season, I was preferring that CMS euthanize MS sports. Pure misery. Coaches should have to know their sport. Seek guidance from HS coaches that they feed. Something constructive. Read a fricken book. Go to a clinic. Ask a travel coach to assist. Get a practice plan. But there is no accountability for development at MS level. A big gap IMHO.

I'm hoping that ms baseball is better. We shall see.

As for bats. I'd try a -3 bbcor bat and choke up. Worked when I was a kid.

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I can only speak about my son's middle school. You remember the players in T-Ball that would pick daisies during the game in the outfield? and would turn toward the ball when all of his players were screaming to go get it (many times it would be the SS that would retrieve it.) Well....those players have found my son's school and they are still picking daisies....and unfortunately brought the T-Ball coach with them.

9. namkrad

namkrad Member

So the AD's in my son's middle school conference had a meeting the other day and decided that the middle schools would be required to use -3 bats. Unbelievable. I guess they see nothing wrong with making a 12 year old, 7th grade BOY use the same bat that a 18 year old, 12th grade grown MAN uses?

I cannot see the logic behind this decision whatsoever. Just blows my mind.

10. matos23

matos23 Full Access Member

Back when I was in middle school we were also required to use -3 bats and I think this is the right decision for a few reasons. First and foremost for the safety of the players I can completely agree with requiring -3 bats. While it will be tough for some of the younger players to adjust to swinging a heavier bat, it is important that there isn't some big strong 14 year olds swinging 20 oz bats. Secondly I think it will only promote player development. While we all acknowledge that bad speed is important, I don't think it is the biggest point of emphasis I would make to a middle school hitter. Rather I would try and teach bat control. A players bat speed will develop with proper mechanics and physical maturity. I've been lucky enough to watch players that looked like twigs (myself included) swinging those heavy bats that could hardly hit a ball out of the infield even in their freshmen year of hs, but rather than worry about how far they were hitting it, they were focusing on where they hit it and how they hit it. By the time those kids become juniors and seniors they can be some of the toughest hitters in the state to get out. While size and strength is important no doubt, it is not size or bat speed that makes a great ball player.