1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Try Out or Not Try Out for USA Baseball NTIS Team Mid-Atlantic

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Schaefer, May 9, 2012.

1. Schaefer

Schaefer Full Access Member

TBRockers,

Three years ago our group of experienced baseball people was asked to become a part of the USA Baseball family. It was exciting then and is still exciting today because it gave us a bigger purpose. The regional program we were asked to direct for USA Baseball is the Mid-Atlantic National Team Identification Series or NTIS.

The Mid-Atlantic NTIS Region consists of NC, SC, TN, GA, AL, MS and is a vehicle used to identify players and showcase them to the USA Baseball selection team. We will travel into each of those six states, host events and evaluate hundreds of players. It is a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end. It is in a sense the Baseball version of American Idol.

We have seen several of our Team Mid-Atlantic kids receive invites to the 40 man National Team Tryouts. We have also seen some of them make the National Team and win GOLD! However, we know those odds are small, but the exposure benefits go far beyond that of making the national team. Last year there were over 100 collegiate and pro scouts in attendance at the NTIS in Cary.

Additionally, we hold our events at collegiate facilities and have consistently exposed all who try out to collegiate coaches. The dream is making Team USA, but let’s not discount the journey and the exposure that come with it.

Each year I am asked the same question about the USA Baseball NTIS Mid-Atlantic try-outs, and each year I provide the same answer; “do you think my son has a chance to make it through the evaluation process and make Team Mid Atlantic?” I am being asked this question because as parents we hate to see our children disappointed, so we think we are protecting them by not putting them in situations that does guarantee a feel good ending.

When being asked such a question I have to let everyone know that as a former professional player, and now a professional coach and more importantly a parent, I don’t buy into the “always safe” and “feel good” approach. My response to this question has two sides, one the journey that was, and is, my baseball experience and second, being a parent myself.

As a baseball player I always viewed tryouts as a challenge that provided me the opportunity to rise. I didn’t always rise, but I came away with a better idea of where I ranked amongst my peers and where I needed to improve. I never viewed not making a team as failing. It was certainly disappointing, but I never felt like a failure because I tried. I was then, and I am now, still a believer that epic failure is the failure to try.

As a parent I have encouraged my children to accept challenges even when I knew the desired results were likely not going to be the ultimate, real result. I do know my children will enjoy successes, feel disappointment, gain life experience and learn a lot more about themselves if they try things that don’t come with a guarantee. Signing up for the sure thing is the easy way, not necessarily the best way.

So my answer to the question “do you think my son should try out and do you think he has a chance to make it through the USA Baseball NTIS Team Mid-Atlantic tryout process and make the team?” is answered with a question: Why would he not when there is always something to be gained in the journey itself? One thing is very sure however, if he doesn’t try he is guaranteed to not gain a thing. To have tried and failed is significantly more important to growing as a man than to not try at all.

Within our challenges there will be great successes and major disappointments, but never will there be failure because we tried our best.

I would like everyone to know that we invite college recruiters and MLB scouts to these tryouts so beyond the dream of making Team USA there is something very tangible to be gained beyond the process itself.

For more information regarding dates and locations for NTIS please visit www.midatlanticntis.com

Sincerely,

Schaef

Jeff Schaefer
    Regional Director, USA Baseball NTIS Team Mid Atlantic
    Co-Founder, Champions Baseball Academy
    East Coast Prospects
    Owner, Virginia Sports Complex
    (C)704-340-1698
    [email protected]
    www.midatlanticntis.com
    www.championsbaseballacademy.com
    www.ecpbaseball.com
    www.vasportscomplex.com

2. NCMtnBBDad

NCMtnBBDad NCMtnBBDad

Good post Jeff. How many college recruiters have attended your Charlotte event in the past?

3. Schaefer

Schaefer Full Access Member

Year one we had 12 colleges at level one and more than 20 attend level two. Last year we hosted only one level in each state. We averaged 8-10. This year we have gone back to the two level format in NC and have received commitments already from several schools.

Jeff Schaefer

4. amfritton66

amfritton66 Junior Member

I agree that failure can teach a child a lot about their strengths and weaknesses. Guaranteed success does not build mental strength which is needed in life. My son went throw the NTIS tryout and has not heard the results yet. I am glad that he got to experience a professional style tryout. Whether he makes the first cut or not he is better for the experience.

5. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

Very seriously...
    As a high school coach, would you want me recommending:
    A) all-conference level players (good, solid player who maybe just hit .380 in a 10 game conference stretch but maybe not even a D2 level talent/player)
    OR
    B)all-state/D1 level players?

I totally understand the "take the shot" advice, but is this intended for any player regardless of talent level?
    (Again, very serious in asking - no sarcasm or needling, just truly curious...)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. lovethegamenc

lovethegamenc Junior Member

I think if anyone wants to go to the tryouts, then go. The problem I had in the past was that it cost $150.00 to attend, maybe it is more now or even less, I don't know. I do know about 50 kids showed up and no one was picked to play for USA Baseball. Personally, I think it is just a big fund raiser for USA Baseball. Most of the picks for the team are from CA,FL,TX and then they pick some from the other states. I am not AGAINST USA Baseball, just don't believe you should have to pay $150.00 to tryout. The tryout that I witnessed was held at North Davidson HS.

7. 2ndMarDiv

2ndMarDiv Junior Member

Parents should never pay for tryouts.