1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

metal cleats - injuries this year.

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

now, we've had this discussion as to pros and cons, so i figure i would share some injury information from our conference the the surrounding conferences as far as injuries

broken ankles through first half attributed to metal cleats - 5 ladies
    high ankle sprains/torn ligaments from girls wearing metal cleats - 15
    girls missing games due to being cleated - 11 with one having a partially torn achlies tendon (i know i cant spell) and another with a dislocated kneecap (and 11 stitches to close wound)

this isnt a controlled study, just a few phone calls to other coaches asking about this, especially after hearing of a few broken ankles in our area.

if this isnt an isolated case, maybe it wasnt such a good idea to allow metal cleats to begin with.........

how about injuries in your area?
    discuss......

2. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

How does this compare to baseball? How does it compare to injuries to players using plastic cleats? Were the broken ankles the result of sliding?

I'm not aware of any cleat-related injuries in this area. I know of some injuries by getting hit with the ball--including one concussion.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. fastpitchndad

fastpitchndad Full Access Member

This is second hand information!!!
    A parent was talking last night and said her dd saw another team filing thier cleats to create a sharper edge. Metal cleats can be dangerous for the runner who is not accustomed to them. Sharpening cleats makes them especially dangerous to the fielder who making a play on someone sliding. Wait till the lawyers find out Suzie got 11 stitches from a girl who sharpened those cleats.

4. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

when i asked these coaches for information, i asked for metal cleat related injuries only. some of the high ankle sprains were experienced by three and four year travel ball players who receintly made the switch to metal cleats, the ones with broken ankles are travel ball players who wont be starting tb this summer.

no dog in the fight, i was just curious when i witnessed an ugly ankle break with metal cleats

5. bolo2

bolo2 Full Access Member

DD loves them...helps her run faster

I have not personally seen any injuriies that can be pinned on metal cleats
    Most molded plastic cleats are heavy as bricks. The big exception being the Mizuno's with replaceable cleats. Great shoe that you can change from metal and back to plastic if you like.

6. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

You need to get out more often. lol. Lots of injuries because of metal. Really no need for them in high school or tb. The bad out weighs the good. I have seen lots of stitches and cuts not to mention some badly hurt ankles. Most high school girls aren't good enough to properly use metal.

7. pepper17

pepper17 Full Access Member

None of our girls have had injuries and many wear metal cleats or the interchangeable ones. I wouldn't make a blanket statement that most girls aren't good enough to use these.....depends on the girl and the situation on the field

8. softballphreak

But how did the injuries happen? Cleats get caught in the ground sliding for example? Or ankle twisted while planting or pivoting or what?

With the added traction the muscles need to be strong or stronger. They will be getting much firmer turns, for example, and the muscles need to be strong enough to support the player. If it's a matter of the cleats digging into the ground on a slide, for example, they will need to learn sliding with the cleats off the ground.

Some players may be sharpening their cleats thinking they'll grip better. I certainly hope there is no one so low that they would intentionally try to cut another player. If so, fellow players need to educate them. The other team is your competition--not your enemy! Without the other team you have no one to play!

9. softballphreak

I have to disagree with you on this one. Particularly the "not good enough" part. That part reminds me of when fastpitch first started around here and the girls were taught this little half swing because they "can't swing as fast as guys." Nowadays, those funny swings would be laughed off the field.

I think it's just a matter of knowing the fundamentals and strength conditioning to support the extra traction. Overall, there is far less knowledge about what type of strength conditioning is needed. The old football conditioning does not quite fit what softball players need. But that's a different subject.

10. treck

treck Softball is my life

teach new techniques

In posing this concern to several D1 college coaches, I asked them what diffences needed to be emphsized and they all pointed to 3 points with regard to metal cleats.

1) many girls point their toes as they slide into the bag. This is very dangerous with metal cleats because the toe cleat will catch in the ground and twist the foot causing either a high ankle sprain or a spiral fracture of the tibia. In GA HS ball this past fall, I saw several examples of both. To correct this, girls need to go in with the foot in a more relaxed and parrallel to the ground position, almost 90 degree angle to the leg. Allow the bag to come to them and not REACH for the bag with the toe.

2) the 2nd point was feet above the knee. I have seen way too many instances where girls go in cleats up and into the defender.

3) the 3rd referred to the tag by the defender. Many have taught catch the ball and block the bag. Either by dropping to a knee or even many catcher both knees. High School coaches needed to re-teach and make sure that girls are not trying to block the bag or plate in any way shape or form any more. They are leaving exposed points open for injury when they do so. Just catch the ball, apply the tag and get out of the way.

Ty