1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

PGF Nationals or ASA Nationals

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by swingaway, Jul 7, 2015.

1. swingaway

swingaway Full Access Member

PGF Nationals or ASA Nationals. Which do you prefer and why?

2. amish

amish Full Access Member

depends on a lot of things: what you are after, what age group, talent level, competition level, cost, weather, entertainment, etc...

Competition:
    The majority of the elite TB organizations in the country are aligned with PGF. At 18U, if you want to play the best, it' PGF hands down, having replaced ASA Gold in the category as soon as PGF started. (PGF was started by many of those same elite organizations after having a fall out with ASA). At the lower age groups, the competition level issue becomes less clear but given the programs involved in PGF, you won't go wrong with PGF. This is not to say that 14U ASA does not have strong teams..... In short, it's a coin flip.

Weather/Entertainment
    PGF Nationals have been in Socal..... great weather, great environment, great entertainment. ASA moves around but on average, you ain't beating SOCAL.

Cost:
    .... but u aren't going to drive to the PGF Nationals. ASA moves around, so on average, ASA is going to be cheaper to attend as a team.

Exposure:
    This is where the answer gets very messy and I don't think it's a PGF or ASA question as much as coaches aligning their talent and needs with a tournament that can provide the necessary exposure, while balancing the some of the issues above. Most all the major programs will have a coach at both PGF and ASA Nationals. But not necessarily at all age groups. 18U in PGF/ASA have relatively light coaching attendance, why? Majority of the players are already committed. 14U is the hot spot these days for elite talent. I'd argue that purely from an exposure perspective, you should look at a National as another exposure tournament. i.e. does it have the coaches/types of schools attending that provide my girls the needed exposure.

Anyway, that's my two cents.