1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

AAU/USBA/YBOA....

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by Coach Roger, May 4, 2009.

1. Coach Roger

Coach Roger Full Access Member

Anybody playing some travel bball? Post your doings here. This part of the forum needs something to knock the cobwebs loose.

My DD's travel team, the Cape Fear Hurricanes (Wilmington), went undefeated weekend before last to take the USBA Heat Wave Championship in Wilmington. Looking forward to another tounament this weekend.

2. Lady Titans 9U

Lady Titans 9U Junior Member

My daughter plays on a travel bball team. It is a newly formed team and they played their first YBOA tournament April 25-26. They got second place.

Congratulations on your undefeated first place!!

3. Coach Roger

Coach Roger Full Access Member

Congrats young Lady Titans. Runner-up first time out. WTG!!

4. swingaway

swingaway Full Access Member

AAU/YBOA?USBA

My daughter is playing 11U travel basketball for the first time and it has been a great experience. I will give you some thoughts on the younger age groups, as I see it:

1.) Skill development has been awesome. My daughter is participating in "real basketball" for the first time. The product is very different from a rec league. We are on an 11U team with girls that could mostly play 10U so we have been blown out numerous times. The experience is still very positive, as the development has been huge.
    2.) Great coaching has really helped my daughter understand the game even better.
    3.) YBOA and USBA seems to be much less organized than the competing entities in baseball / softball. Major improvements could be made in website usage, tournament scheduling, etc... Numerous tournaments have been cancelled or games rescheduled as late as Friday night at 9:00. No website updates as to bracketing, tournament winners, photos, etc...
    4.) At 10U and 11U, I personally think there should be a limit to full court pressing. Not much man - to - man defense is taught from what I can see.
    5.) My daughter has learned that basketball is a physical contact sport!
    6.) I could only attend the last game this weekend and it cost me $10.00. OUCH! After 2:00 in the afternoon, reduce the fees to $5.00.
    7.) Our young 11U team is consistently playing middle school teams. The organizations should create divisions based on abilities of teams and allow teams to compete against teams of equal talent. AAU has done this in softball and created a great niche for itself.

Great experience for our daughter and family. 2 more tournaments to go before we shut it down for the season.

5. bbfan

bbfan Full Access Member

if you are that excited about the coaching, perhaps you would share what team you play for.....

6. Lady Titans 9U

Lady Titans 9U Junior Member

I agree with you about the website updates and the schedule changes. We played a tournament last weekend and one team had dropped out but the other 3 teams were not told and each team showed up to play them. I also would like to look up results too.

I don't think divisions should be based on talent because that would be too hard to determine. I think teams should play thier own age. I think if they are gonna go by high school rules it should apply to every aspect of the game.