This Board Rocks

Go Back   This Board Rocks > Our Interests > Home Improvement & DIY Forum

Home Improvement & DIY Forum

Wall Mount to Cultured Stone FP

This is a discussion on Wall Mount to Cultured Stone FP within the Home Improvement & DIY Forum forums, part of the Our Interests category!
Mounting a 50" plasma to a cultured stone fireplace. Home built in 2008 - duplex power and a/v input box ...

Sponsored Ads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-09, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mounting a 50" plasma to a cultured stone fireplace. Home built in 2008 - duplex power and a/v input box already embedded in stone.

Any suggestions or horror stories I need to be wary of????

I have an expensive mounting bracket that should hold the TV with no problem --- I just don't know what backing is behind the stone.

I'm pretty confident - just looking for some experienced advice.
Baylee Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

the area above your fireplace, now covered with cultured has a substrate called sheetrock. Yep good 'ol drywall, the same stuff that never holds anything on a wall unless you use toggle bolts.
You have cultured stone glued to drywall, most likely.
Its possible that the stone has durock/cement board underneath.

Better safe than sorry, make damn sure you mount the TV bracket through the entire wall and not just attached to the stone.

There is an area in the chimney cavity that is designed to keep the heat from a fireplace from the studs, drywall etc. So don't worry about drilling into that badboy. You won't hit some wire or screw up the flue.

Easy project.
marlinfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfan1 View Post
the area above your fireplace, now covered with cultured has a substrate called sheetrock. Yep good 'ol drywall, the same stuff that never holds anything on a wall unless you use toggle bolts.
You have cultured stone glued to drywall, most likely.
Its possible that the stone has durock/cement board underneath.

Better safe than sorry, make damn sure you mount the TV bracket through the entire wall and not just attached to the stone.

There is an area in the chimney cavity that is designed to keep the heat from a fireplace from the studs, drywall etc. So don't worry about drilling into that badboy. You won't hit some wire or screw up the flue.

Easy project.
The "expert" at Lowe's today told me that he didn't recommend lag shields for the stone - and I understand. I looked at the stud finders and the greatest depth listed is 1.5" -- a little too shallow given the veneer and the drywall.

TV is a heavy Panasonic 50" plasma. The last thing I want is to come home one day and see it on the floor.

What hardware do you recommend?
Old 11-23-09, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylee Duckdog View Post
The "expert" at Lowe's today told me that he didn't recommend lag shields for the stone - and I understand. I looked at the stud finders and the greatest depth listed is 1.5" -- a little too shallow given the veneer and the drywall.

TV is a heavy Panasonic 50" plasma. The last thing I want is to come home one day and see it on the floor.

What hardware do you recommend?
the expert at lowes has no clue. the stud finder giving a reading has nothing to do with what I'm telling you. Forget lowes and the stud finder. There is a chamber behind your fireplace flue that is every bit large enough for you not to worry about drilling through the stone and whatever is underneath it.
Why would you try to mount a bracket based on where the studs are?
16" on center on the best builders day had no consideration of you putting a TV on the wall and how it might be centered.

Go back to square one. Drill through the wall and latch the bracket to the wall. Center that badboy as you choose.

As for hardware, call the local Video guy. Looks to me that your gig needs a professional to come in for $75-$175 and do the work for you.
marlinfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

what type of bolts should i be looking at to mount into a wooden stud? dynabolts?
blalse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
<~~~~ LOL

you guys need to ask TBR's resident handy-man, Fred. i would imagine he could tell/show you everything you never wanted to know about lag bolts to logging chains.

rumor is, no-charge "hands on" first consultation.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12037/1208457-50.stm
Southern_Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Yo Fred....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post
you guys need to ask TBR's resident handy-man, Fred. i would imagine he could tell/show you everything you never wanted to know about lag bolts to logging chains.

And where might I find Fred?
Old 11-24-09, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Quote:
lol

--Milton Friedman,
American economist and Nobel Prize recipient
VA49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
<~~~~ LOL

Quote:
just a BM away...click HERE

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12037/1208457-50.stm
Southern_Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Got it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from swinging the bat....Babe Ruth...

Got it done - drilled pilot holes with small masonry bit - found the studs - drilled 5/16" holes and "embedded" 5.5" lag screws into frame/rock/studs.

you could hang a car on that bracket...

It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought.